Monday, April 9, 2007

Ambrosia

The word ambrosia means "food of the gods". Something that makes your mouth water at the mere thought of it's existence. Foolish me, when I was a child, I was afraid of Ambrosia because it had coconut in it. Also, most Ambrosias I'd seen were a soupy mess. The marshmallows got mushy and turned into liquid and it was not really a pleasant appearance. As I aged, and my palate matured, along came with it a love for coconut, and the ability to overlook the appearance of a food in order to try. (I mean, seriously, whoever thought of salivating over a bowl of green mush we've come to love as guacamole?). And 5 years ago, as I sat an an Easter table with friends, there was this stuff there. It looked like a white mound of mush with sparkles of orange and flecks of coconut. To be polite, I put a mouthful or two on my plate. It was the last thing on my plate that I ate, dreading it. Well, to my surprise it was just so delicious that I asked the host for the recipe. Thank you, Lois, for this scrumptious salad, which I don't make often b/c it is NOT figure friendly! :D




Ambrosia

1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 11 oz cans of mandarin oranges, drained and patted dry with paper towels
1 20 oz can of chunk pineapple, drained and patted dry with paper towels
2 cups mini marshmallows (I used Kraft, as per the company they are gluten free)
2 cups sweetened, flaked coconut (check for one in your area, I know they can add wheat starch to keep it from clumping)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and chill for 2 hours. If you must prepare ahead, do not add marshmallows until 2 hours before serving or they will get too mushy.

VERY good. :D

No comments: