Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Sweet & Sour Pork


Well, I've sort of abandoned my calendar this last week! I will post for next week. I ran into a mental block and have been winging it for a few days! :D Going with what I have in my freezer and what sounds good. Well, after almost 3 months of abstinence from Chinese food, I decided that I MUST have some. As we all know, being gluten free means that ordering chinese from our local take out place (safely, anyway) is a near impossibility due to the prevalence of soy sauce. Thank you San-J for creating a gluten free soy sauce that made this recipe possible. It hit that sweet spot in me last night, I was looking for the fortune cookies afterward.

Sweet & Sour Pork

1 lb boneless pork loin chops, cut into thin strips
1 medium green pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 medium red onion, sliced in thin strips
10 oz to 1 lb snow peas
1 large carrot, cut thinly on a diagonal
1 14.5 oz can pineapple in juice
2 cups chicken, beef or pork stock (make sure your source is Gluten Free - I used Pacific Foods)
1/4 cup San-J Gluten Free Soy Sauce
2 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs sesame oil


Drain pineapple juice into measuring cup, add water so juice measures 1 cup. Remove 5 or 6 slices and cut into bitesized pieces, set aside.

Mix pineapple juice, stock, soy sauce and cornstarch in a large bowl, set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil on medium high heat. Add pork strips and saute until just tender. Add pepper, onion and carrot, saute for a few minutes until veggies are just tender-crisp. Add snow peas and pineapple. Pour stock mixture over top and continue to heat on medium high until just boiling. Reduce heat and allow sauce to thicken.

Serve over Brown Rice. And enjoy.


My husbands only comment is that he would add water chestnuts. I do agree, and will be an addition next time. :D

2 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

Sounds fantastic! I definitely enjoy Asian cuisine, and occasionally like sweet and sour (though, not the glow-in-the-dark sauce served at most places). Homemade is a great way to go!

I like your gluten-free blog. Any chance you'd want to have your blog entries included in the Gluten-Free News and Blog Posting Aggregator?

I'd gladly include it. If you're interested, just follow the "blog feed setup instructions" (see link at the top of that page) for how to setup an RSS feed I can pull from.
Thanks. Mike

Adopted Son said...

And it was soooo good. Yum. I wish Chinese take-out was this good... wait. I usually wish homemade chinese was as good as take out.. wait. Oh shoot. Well, it was really good.