Monday, November 19, 2007

Cranberry Sausage Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing


"Just Keep Moving Forward" For those of you who have seen "Meet the Robinsons" you'll understand that. "Keep moving forward" is the motto of the movie. Basically, each failure is a stepping stone to success. I have to say I love the message of that movie...but, this is about cooking.

Moreover, this is about stuffing.

I was afraid I would live a live devoid of the good stuff. That on Christmas Day, family and friends would be sitting around my table staring at the obvious lack of stuffing and saying "oh great, she wouldn't even make the regular kind for US...".

Thanks to Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl (her link is in my list, give her a look, she's got some great recipes over there), I decided to try again today.

Now mind you, in my gluten eating days, I lived on stuffing. We had the Stove Top kind at least twice a month, either as a side or factored into the recipe in some way. I have not had ANY stuffing since going gluten free.

Well...The recipe starts with Corn Bread. Instead of baking in a 8" square or pie plate, I actually baked in a 13X9 so it was a REALLY thin layer, and made smaller/crustier bread cubes.


Cranberry Sausage Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing (w/Walnuts)

Corn Bread Cubes:

1 "loaf" cornbread (recipe link above), cut into 1/2" cubes
3 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tsp Poultry Seasoning
1 Tsp Salt

Place cubes in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Mix gently, but well, to coat all sides with the olive oil. Sprinkle over the salt and poultry seasoning. Mix again, very gently.

Lay in a single layer on a large sheet pan and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes OR until the cubes are crispy. Set aside to cool.

1 lb bulk pork sausage
1 medium white onion, small dice
3 stalks celery, small dice
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
dash pepper
2 cups chicken stock (I used Pacific Foods)
2 Herb-ox boullion cubes

Brown bulk sausage in a large saute pan. When almost all complete add onion and celery. (do not drain off fat, I know that sounds odd, but you need it for cooking the veggies and it adds sooooo much flavor!) Add poultry seasoning (sprinkling around pan) and pepper (I did like 10 grinds of fresh pepper). Saute for about 5 minutes until veggies are crisp tender. Add cranberries and walnuts. Stir thru just to warm them up.

Pour pork/veggie mixture over the cooling cornbread cubes.

Return pan the the stove and add the chicken stock and boullion cubes. Heat until low boil and cubes are dissolved.

Add 1/4-1/2 cup at a time to the bread cubes/pork/veggie bowl. Gently stirring thru each addition. Leave about 1/4 cup left in pan.

Once all but 1 cup of the liquid is incorporated, lay into a 13 X 9 Baking dish (greased). Gently sprinkle remaining liquid overtop. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 to reheat (cover with cooking spray covered foil).

OR...allow to cool completely and stuff in the bird. I have not stuffed it yet b/c we're not having a full bird for Thanksgiving. But you can bet cash money that I'll be doing it for Christmas!!!

I hope you try this. I hope you enjoy this. :D And again, thanks a BUNCH Ginger Lemon Girl for encouraging me to keep moving forward! :D

4 comments:

Carrie said...

YAY KRISTA!!! That looks like some AWESOME cornbread!!! That recipe looks delicious! I think I will make a "loaf" of your cornbread to mix with my bread (which I have in the lovely bread machine now!) for the big day!!! You go girl!! Doesn't that make you feel good!!! You Rock!!! I hope you and your crew have an awesome Thanksgiving! We can't wait to try your Pumpkin Squares! Thanks girl!! I'm glad you gave it another whirl!!

Mrs. G.F. said...

That looks great! And the best is making your self happy.

Glad you found a way to have a favorite dish again.

:)

Carrie said...

Krista! I like the new layout! Fancy-Smancy girl!!

kbabe1968 said...

:) THANKS! I'm trying to figure out how to put a holiday type picture up with the title, so, it will be changing a little bit more soon, too. :D