Thursday, January 31, 2008

100th Post! Creamy Chicken Enchilladas


Something we constantly crave in our house is Mexican food. Okay, it might just have something to do with living in Phoenix, AZ for four years and having delicious, inexpensive, and authentic Mexican food on every corner. If you live on the east coast, there's a pizza joint on every corner. If you live in the Southwest, there are few pizza places, but a TON of Mexican joints! And when I say JOINT. I mean it! Drive thru enchilladas!

We loved living there and we loved sampling all the wonderful Mexican food options. From the everyday taco to the Enchilladas Espinacas with Chicken. Not to mention authentic Tortilla Soup from La Parilla Suiaza

Well, now that we are living back in Philly suburbs, where the most authentic Mexican food close by seems to be Taco Bell. And, well, I'm sorry, but Taco Bell is not Mexican food. And lets not mention it would not be a safe Gluten Free eating environment!

I guess I should be fair, there are 3 Mexican restaurants that are NOT Taco Bell in a 5 mile radius around our house. A few we tried prior to going gluten free. One of our "chain" favorites in Phoenix was Chipotle's. Unfortunately, the closest Chipotle's is on City Line Avenue. WAAAAAAA! If you're going ot have "chain" Mexican, Chipotle's is the place to do it! Just make sure to have the CORN tortillas and not the flour ones.

Okay, I digress.

In desire to have some yummy Mexican food, I decided to try something new.


Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

FILLING:
2 Cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 small onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded (I do it myself)
1 Cups Jalepeno Jack Cheese, shredded (see note below)
1/4 Cup sour cream (okay I "eyeballed it" but it should be about 1/4 cup)
1 4oz can of diced green chiles

SAUCE:
1 Can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup (as of last confirmation, gluten free but ALWAYS check labels) - strained to remove mushroom solids
1 cup sour cream
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 packet Herb-Ox boullion powder (the one that says Gluten Free right on the box)

12 pack of fresh corn tortillas

TOPPING:
1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1/2 Cup Jalepeno Jack Cheese, shredded


Mix filling ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.

Mix sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside. (NOTE: on the herb-ox bullion use the powder packet, not the cubes. If you HAVE to use the cubes make sure to crush it up before mixing into the sauce ingredients).

Spread about 3/4 to 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a 13" X 9" pan. Just enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.

Warm tortillas in a saute pan until "pliable". Fill with about 2 to 3 Tbs of chicken mixture. Roll and place seam side down in a baking dish. Continue with remaining enchilladas.

Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle cheeses over top.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until it's all bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions if desired.

NOTE on the cheeses: If you are not into "hot hot" spicy foods, alter the ratio of cheese or use ALL monterey jack and none of the jalepeno jack. OR if you LOVE hot, use ALL jalapeno jack and replace the chiles with dice jalepenos instead! OUCHY! :D

10 comments:

Adopted Son said...

These rock. MMMM. I'm having the left-overs for lunch. Can you say "early lunch?" HAHA!

Amber said...

Hi Krista...just browsing your blog...get onto Chipotle's website and you'll see they are now in Warrington, Plymouth Meeting, getting closer to home. J.R. from our church RAVES about Chipotle's. And I love Enchiladas!! mmm

kbabe1968 said...

WHAT??? I'm in serious trouble!!! I love the carnitas! AHHH!!! Okay, maybe I could ask them to use fresh spoons and get it in a "bowl" so it doesn't have to touch anything it shouldn't! AHHH! I love carnitas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne Coleman said...

...and you didn't bring me any. What's the point of living so much closer together if you're not going to feed me?

Anne Coleman said...

Ooooh! And congrats on 100! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I was Googling for some gluten free recipes for dinner tonight. (My dh and one ds are gluten intolerant) and I found your blog. COOL!
I too have 3 kids and home school 2 - my youngest is going to be 3 in a month. ANYWAY ... it was fun "meeting" someone of like mind. :-)
Our family's blog site is SOOOO BEHIND ... but here it is if you're interested:
http://www.slagersinmichigan.blogspot.com/
~ Kris ~

kbabe1968 said...

HEY ANNIE! SURE...I'll bring them up ANY time! I might have to make 2 pans though to feed the entire clan! LOL!!!

Kris - thanks soooo much for stopping by! I hope you find some goodies to try with your gang! :D

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I used to live in Phoenix too. I miss the Southwest so much!!! Looks like a great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Greetings!
My name is Isabelle and I'm a member of the WEGO Health Community [http://www.wegohealth.com]. I’ve been spending some time on your site and reading your tasty Mexican food recipes and best of all they’re gluten-free! When I lived in San Diego, Mexican cuisine had become one of my favorites too. I was very spoilt there!

I wanted to get in touch with you to let you know a little bit about what we're doing here at WEGO Health.

Our website recently launched and our mission is to identify, rank, and organize the most helpful health and wellness content online and make it easy to access by everyone. We need the help of people like you, with real experience with these topics, to review the material and help us decide what information is most helpful. We can then organize the rated content and provide the public with only the most useful articles to save them time. Pulling together good health information is definitely a team effort.

Our mission is articulated very nicely here:
[http://www.wegohealth.com/our-mission.html]

I'm wondering if you would be interested in reviewing some of the Gluten Allergy-related materials [http://allergy.wegohealth.com/gluten-allergy.html] on WEGO Health. Please let me know if you think there is a way we may be able to work together.

Thanks in advance for checking out our site and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Isabelle
WEGO Health Community
expert-supported health communities

E-mail: isabelleo@wegohealth.com
Website: www.wegohealth.com