Saturday, March 15, 2008

HOLE-Y Pass Thru, Batman!


Demolition has begun.

My husband gleefully measured and taped out the pass thru prior to smashing it with a hammer. Yes, Anne was right...I think demolition is his favorite part of the process.

We encountered some weirdness...like wires that seem to have no function...but are there none-the-less. And some wiring that is there on purpose and will have to be rewired.

We also discovered for certain that it is not a load bearing wall, either. Well, we discovered it was 2 X 3's vs. 2 X 4s and when BIL Jay was consulted to confirm it's load-bearing state his response was "I sure hope not!". BIL was sick today, hoping he heals soon.

This week I will be spending packing up dishware, glassware, everything out of the way. I will also set up my temporary kitchen in the dining room so that we'll have a place to prepare and eat food. I am also considering premaking a bunch of things like chili, meatballs, taco meat, etc. so that I have quick grab - easy heat up meals on hand for the next three weeks.

The construction foreman (aka hubby) has informed me that as of next Saturday evening it will be bare to the floor. :D No counter, no cabinets, no flooring OH MY! He also hopes to have the tile laid, not grouted mind you, but laid. We'll see - if you haven't noticed, I'm the pessimest of the two of us! I'll be happy if it's READY to have the floor laid.

So, enjoy the view from my new "window". More to come! :D

2 comments:

Anne Coleman said...

That is gonna look AWESOME and add so much "room"!

Anonymous said...

Krista,
Best of luck with the demolition/remodel! I had to laugh at the term pass-through. We have a working only kitchen (not eat-in)and converted a former breezeway to a dining room. We have a pass-through to the new dining room. I think we built it about 18 or so years ago and the kids (who are now 24 and 21) promptly dubbed it "the giver". It is still called that by everyone! Haha! I just discovered your blog...nice work! Visit me sometime at mine. http://blogs.timesunion.com/glutenfree/