Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Articoke Spinach Chicken Casserole


One of my all time favorite appetizers at a restaurant is Artichoke Spinach Dip. Due to the gluten factor, I can no longer order it out. I have made it at home many times. I serve the leftovers over a grilled chicken breast. I've decided to adapt this to a more "casserole" type dish. This takes an appetizer, and makes it a meal. Make sure to see notes at the bottom for different ways to prepare.

Another note: when using canned artichoke hearts, make sure to cut off the top 1/4" of leaves so that it's not too woody. You should not have this problem if you use frozen/thawed artichokes or fresh artichokes.


Artichoke Spinach Chicken Casserole

1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed out
1 14.5 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered (or 10 oz frozen/thawed & drained)
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
1 Cup Mayonnaise (Hellman's) or Sour Cream (or combo of the two)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 scallions, sliced thin
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 Cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 Cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast, grilled & sliced on a bias in thin strips

Mix spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, may, garlic, scallions, 1/2 Cup of the parmesan cheese and salt & pepper in a large mixing bowl.

In a 2 quart baking dish, lay out a layer of the chicken strips. Top with half of the artichoke/spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat Layers. End with the last of the mozzarella and sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.



OTHER PREPARATION OPTIONS:

1. OMIT chicken, bake artichoke spinach mix as directed. Serve with tortilla chips or vegetables.

2. CUT chicken into bitesized pieces and mix in with the artichoke/spinach mix before baking. Mix the Mozzarella cheese in too.

9 comments:

Basher Bunch said...

I am SOOOOO going to make this!!
It sounds so good. Are tortilla chips okay to eat?

kbabe1968 said...

Yes. BE CAREFUL THOUGH....I found out the other day that some of them are a mix of flour and corn!!! Some of the Trader Joes ones are NOT okay.

Make sure to read the ingredient labels. So far I've found that Aldi Brand, Acme Brand, SOME Tostito's are okay. Utz's comes right out and says "gluten free" on the label.

:)

Anonymous said...

This looks really good. I love artichokes! I woke up groggy this morning and havent given any thought to the leavening question. I will get back to you. I still have to think about each thing I am making and then convert it... ah, gluten-free baking!

Elizabeth Barbone said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hopefully I will teach a gluten-free class in your area. They are so much fun! I love teaching them. To answer your question, you are more than welcome to link to my blog. Thanks so much! I will do the same! Have a good day!

Anne Coleman said...

So....I keep coming back to this cause it looks SO GOOD--but you and I both know that Megan, Cassidy and I will be the only ones to eat it. Do your beautiful babes eat it?

Hey--ever have the Aloutte version of the spinach/artichoke thing? Oh man...probably not gluten-free, though, huh?

By the way-does packaging state if something is gluten-free or do you have to read the whole label to know?

Sea said...

This looks really tasty- I'll have to make it sometime (without the chicken though). :)

-Sea

visit my gluten free blog
http://www.bookofyum.com/

Anonymous said...

What temperature do I set the oven to?

kbabe1968 said...

My apologies! Set the oven to 350. :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you for getting the baking temp there. Makinkg the casserole tonight.