Saturday, April 28, 2007

Dunkin' Who???


Or a.k.a. Ode to a Donut munchkin...

Every Sunday Morning, my brother-in-law shows up with a bag of Dunkin' Donut Munchkins. A treat that I would enjoy before going gluten free. Sigh. Dunkin' Donuts had become Dunkin' DO NOTS. BOOO HOOOOO!!!! I'd have to watch my kids, powdered sugar around thier lips. Knowing all the while that I could not eat them. My heart would sink every Sunday morning when he would arrive with that blasted pink, orange and brown bag in his hand. I know he was not being malicious. At least, I don't think he was!

I went in search of (see, where's Leonard Nimoy????) a donut recipe. I was shocked at just how many there were out there. I took one and sort of adjusted it according to other recipes.

Well...I have outsmarted Mr. Donut Man....HA HA!!!

Truly, days like today are the ones where I am thankful I am gluten-free. I really am. These things I'm trying, experimenting with are things I would have never tried without motivation. I would have NEVER made my own doughnut holes. I am thankful now that I have learned. How silly is that?

Enjoy.


Gluten Free Punkins

1 1/2 Cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Mix
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
2 teaspoons Xantham Gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup Sugar ( a little more is okay, but don't overdo or they'll be too sweet)
3 eggs
1/2 Cup Milk (take out 2 Tbs and reserve just incase you need to thin it a little)
Oil for frying
Powdered Sugar for coating

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Using an electric mixer (yes, I used my metallic-chromed beauty for this one!) beat together milk and eggs until fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix very well.

Allow dough to rest for 20 minutes.

In a deep fryer or deep saute pan heat 1" of oil to 375 degrees.

After dough has rested, drop by tablespoons full into hot oil. Holes will flip to the next side when first side is complete. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

BE CAREFUL that your oil is not too hot...if it is the outside will burn before the inside gets cooked, I learned the hard way.

COOL COMPLETELY.

Shake in powdered sugar, or powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon to coat the outsides.

Serve with tea or coffee and feel normal. Be careful, they are very addicting. :D

13 comments:

Anne Coleman said...

WOOT! Girly, there is nada that will stump you on this front, I'm sure of it!

Oh yeah, Jon? He is too malicious :O)

kbabe1968 said...

:) Yeah, well, he's getting gluten-free birthday cake tomorrow night (for Bobby) so I'll get him back LOL :D.

Hey...did YOU hack into the computer and change my picture? It looks different! LOL :D

Anne Coleman said...

I was laughing hysterically at the Homer thing! Did Bobby do it?

kbabe1968 said...

OF COURSE!!! He's a silly man, isn't he??

Anne Coleman said...

Doooooonuts.

Mrs. G.F. said...

Glad you found a way to satisfy your craving!!

Mike Eberhart said...

Can't say I much of a donut fan (didn't really eat them before having CD even), but it's really great you have found a way to make your own now! Now, if you create a great homemade bagel, that's more my speed.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!

Maggie said...

Thanks for having this recipe! My husband is headed off to "Donuts with Dad" at my son's school with a batch of these. I used Whole Foods gluten-free baking mix and added more soy milk since they seemed a little heavy (maybe 1/4 cup more). They were very beignet-like. I would definately use the recipe again.

Anonymous said...

I love the Homer thing, made me smile. Many thanks

Lindsy Riches (Anti-Glutite) said...

Thank you for the recipe! These are really fabulous. I used Pamelas Baking mix instead and added 1/4 tsp of vanilla to the mix and they remind me of the funnel cakes I used to eat at Magic Mountain when I was a kid (before I had Celiac Disease). Do you mind if I post this on my blog?

Unknown said...

THANKS Lindsay, I'm so glad you enjoy them so much, and that they bring back good memories. I, personally, think that's what food is all about!

Yes, you may post this on your Blog, provided you give credit to me, and this blog. THANKS!

:)

Amanda on Maui said...

These are good! I didn't get perfect little spheres because I was just using two spoons, but they tasted very nice!