Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chocolate Sour Cream Cheesecake


WARNING WARNING WARNING: EXTREMELY RICH AND DECADENT DESSERT!!!

I hope no one out there is trying to diet! I'm in a baking frenzy lately. Wednesday night, my MOPS table got together for a Mom's Night In. We left our young ones with the Dad's and got together at the one woman's house where she had only 1 young one...sleeping.

I told them I'd bring something Chocolate, and then spent the next week wondering WHAT would I do.

A chocolate cake?

A chocolate ice cream? (I debated on this one).

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. In my brain all day (actually, it was resonating as "chocol- EIGHT" because my son just started Math-U-See this week and we're learning the blocks! LOL :D).

Well, a long long time ago, in another life (i.e. before I met my husband and I was working for ADP), the secretary gave me a recipe for a sour cream cheesecake. For the last 15 years this has been the only true cheesecake I've made. I rarely waver from the recipe.

Of course, it wasn't chocolate.

Here is my rendition of her Sour Cream Cheesecake with Chocolate (chocol-EIGHT).


Chocolate Sour Cream Cheesecake

2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla

Crust:
1 package Mi-Del Chocolate Creme Sandwiches
2 Tbs butter


Preheat oven to 350.

Pulse Mi-Del Chocolate Creme Sandwich Cookies to crumbs in a food processor. Add softened butter and pulse until the crumbs will stick together when pressed.

Press into a 9" springform pan.

Bake for about 10 minutes until glossy. Cool COMPLETELY. (if you do not, condensation will form between the cheesecake layer and the crust and it will not adhere right).

Reduce oven temperature to 325. Add a pan full of hot water into the bottom rack of the oven. Set second rack in the middle setting.

Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between (my microwave took 1 1/2 minutes). Allow to cool (but not resolidify).

Mix sour cream, eggs, vanilla and sugar in a blender for about 8-10 seconds until fluffy. Slowly add 1 softened cream cheese block thru the opening in the top, while blender is blending. Slowly spoon melted chocolate in the blender while blending. Then slowly add last block of softened cream cheese. Blend until very smooth.

Pour into cooled crust.

Place in the oven and bake 35 minutes until the cheesecake is set. Turn off the oven and leave cheesecake in there for 15 minutes while oven is cooling.

Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before placing in the fridge for AT LEAST 4 hours - preferrably overnight.

Break from springform and cut into wedges.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks sooo good! Good job! Where do you get the cookies?

kbabe1968 said...

I got the cookies at our local Acme. I know that they are sold at Whole Foods as well. And also online. The cookies themselves are hard, too hard to eat like an "oreo" in my opinion. But they worked GREAT for this dessert.

Carrie said...

oh wow.... can i come over??

Unknown said...

SURE! Do you like tea or coffee?

Mrs. G.F. said...

That looks SOOOOO good!!

Did your ladies enjoy it too??? Thay had to!

kbabe1968 said...

Slacker - yes they enjoyed it. Hubby was surprised that I came home with half the pan though! :D There was A LOT of food at the gathering though, so it looked like a lot of them took a half piece. Got lots of compliments on it. I froze the remaining slices and keep them in the freezer for monthly choco fixes (wink wink!)

chililime said...

I think you just killed me... Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm toast. I must try this.... Mmmmmm.

Sea said...

Yum! That looks delicious!

-sea
www.bookofyum.com

Lea Ray said...

When I first saw the picture of your cake my first reaction was "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH". That looks wonderful. I can't wait to try it.

Ben and Mal said...

Evidently this post has been around for awhile, but I found it this weekend and made it for my chocoholic hubby. I used different cookies, but the result was no different from the other posts - AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing! This is now in my aresenal of recipes!