Thursday, January 17, 2008

Creamy Chicken Soup



Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. The white cold stuff came a-fallin' today. Thankfully the fridge and pantry are well-stocked. Probably couldn't survive a nuclear attack, but definitely would not starve in a blizzard!

Any time it snows, I want something that will warm my whole body. We just had soup last night, and usually I don't do two meals the same in the same week, but I just needed soup.

I've been craving creamy soups lately. The only one I've ever made is my mother-in-laws Fish Chowder (note this link is to a NON gluten-free site and this recipe contains a lot of gluten so I am not advocating you try it!), and I haven't even attempted making that gluten-free yet. (Hubby really wants me to give it a go as it's one of his faves!). Anyway, I tried something new and it was just, well, warm, creamy, wonderful goodness. I will say next time I plan on having maybe some crumbled bacon to sprinkle on top with the scallions.

I hope you take the time to make this soup and enjoy it as much as my family did!


Creamy Chicken Soup


2 Carrots, small dice
2 Celery Stalks, small dice
1 medium yellow onion, small dice
1 large clove garlic, minced (or pressed)
2 medium red potatoes, small dice
2 Tbs olive oil
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken stock (CHECK THE LABEL!!!) This time I used homemade...
2 packets Herb Ox Boullion (currently confirmed gluten-free, but ALWAYS check labels!)
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
2 cups cooked white meat chicken, diced small (or size you prefer)

Saute diced carrots, celery, yellow onion, potatoes and garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.

Add stock and Herb-ox, cover pot and bring to a boil. Stir frequently. Cook until the vegetables are soft.

Blend in blender in batches until smooth (make sure to take out the center of the lid and cover with a towel so the steam can escape).

Return to pot and add half cup heavy cream. Add diced/shredded chicken. Bring to JUST A SOFT boil...remove from heat and serve immediately. Serve with scallions sprinkled on top.

If you are trying to cut calories, you can cut out the heavy cream. I will say, though, it added such a luxurious feeling to the soup!!!

7 comments:

Adopted Son said...

Mmmm, and it was so good.

Carrie said...

sounds delicious! I've never actually made a creamed soup other than potato... they scare me! ;-) That looks SO good though! I may have to give that one a shot! We're still awaiting the snow... and keeping our fingers crossed to get some since it is SO rare here!!!

Anne Coleman said...

Yummy! Hey-There's this little thing called an emulsion--egg yolk and cream or stock or milk-etc--that thickens any soup or sauce without having to add gluten products. Not good for you-but it sure tastes good!

Anne Coleman said...

Um-also known as a LIASON--my food dictionary fell right out of my head before I wrote that comment...sigh.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a lovely blog. I love home cooked chicken soup yours looks so yummy.

I have some gluten free recipes on my blog here is a link if you want to check it out gluten free recipes

Let me know if you would like to exchange links.

Thanks Jeena :-)

Karen said...

Oh yum, that looks fantastic! It looks perfect for a winter dinner.

karen
http://glutenfreefoodreviews.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.