Friday, February 9, 2007

Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a .....

I bet you thought I was going to say....TastyKake....well, not anymore....It's ME. I had this recipe, from a friend of mine at Family Life Forums, Mary. At the time I received the recipe, I was living in Phoenix and had not had a REAL, LIFE, Philadelphia TastyKake in at least two years. The first time I made the cake, I could not believe how much it tasted like TastyKake Tandy Cake. Ya know the one, dense rich cake, thick peanutbutter, then covered in milk chocolated? Actually, enrobed is how it's listed on the package. Well, since going gluten free, I have passed up a few of these. I pulled out the recipe yesterday and decided to try it without wheat flour, just to see how it would turn out. I"m having good luck with sweet recipes that do not use baking soda (LOL, I should post a picture of my gluten free chocolate chip cookies - if you need a laugh!). Well, it turned out GREAT! As good as the orginal, and very much like a true Tasty Kake...

Tandy Cake

2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup rice flour
1 cup white sugar
1/8 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
8 oz peanut butter
8 oz milk chocolate

Sift flour, sugar, corn starch, baking powder and salt together in a medium mixing bowl. Mix eggs, vanilla, milk and butter together well in a separate bowl. Add to dry mixture and mix until well combined.

Grease a 2 qt baking dish (or you could us an 11 X 8 pan - if you half the recipe use an 8 X 8 or a pie pan). Pour in batter.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 (check at 30 minutes if edges are turning brown and toothpick in the center comes out fairly clean, go ahead and pull it out).

While cake is still warm, pour over peanut butter and spread over the top. Refridgerate cake.

After about an hour or so when cake is VERY cool. Melt chocolate in a glass bowl on high in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted. Pour over PB layer, and spread.

Put cake back in fridge.

Once the Chocolate is set....cut away and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the tandy cake is the one with the white creamy filling...which is very different than the peanut butter tastykake

kbabe1968 said...

Hmmmm...interesting. In Wawa yesterday I looked at them (ya made me nervous!). The Peanut Butter ones were labelled Peanut Butter Tandykake while the Chocolate one was labelled A Tandycake (with no flavor classification).

I did not realize. Sorry, truly did not mean to confuse anyone.