Friday, February 2, 2007

Pass the Macaroni & Cheese, Please....

One thing I feared when going gluten free was that I would never get to have comfort food again. Ya know, the stuff you love when you feel down....Mac & Cheese, Pizza, stuffing....I could go on, but I digress.

Last night, after having a hard day, a hard week even. I think the reality of the fact that I will NEVER have a grain of wheat, rye, barley or oats for the rest of my life is sinking in. Some days, I am positive and upbeat about it. Other days its a real bummer. Especially when you're PMS'ing and you can't rely on your old favorites to make you feel better.

Well, yesterday, I got inspired and here's what I did....

Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Shaped pasta
1 1/2 Cups milk (I used 2%)
1 1/2 Tbs Corn Starch
3 cups shredded cheese (I used mix of cheddar & parmesan)
Salt & pepper


Cook pasta according to package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, do the following:

Mix the milk & cornstarch (while cold) in a medium sauce pan, add salt & pepper (I also usually add a little garlic powder and onion powder to a white sauce like this...I didn't last night, but you certainly could). Bring to a LOW boil (be careful not to bring to heat too fast or the cornstarch will not thicken). When it is boiling, reduce heat to low so it will stay at a simmer, keep stirring while the milk thickens. Once the milk mixture is thick....turn off heat and stir in the cheese until it's melted.

Drain pasta and return to pan. Add sauce. Mix well...

ENJOY! I know I did! :D

2 comments:

Anne Coleman said...

YEAH! Oh, it's so cool the things you are "fixing" to be gluten-free!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Tinkyada Rice pasta is the best! Most other rice pastas get a little sticky but this is the only I've found that really works well. I wish my son would out grow his milk allergy so we could do Mac and Cheese. He eats Mac and Chreese, but he is alone on that one :) I found you through Norma at Collecting My Thoughts. I'll be back to see what other Gluten Free things you are cooking up.