Saturday, June 30, 2007

Kielbasa Hash


I'm usually not a processed meat product fan. Well, except for maybe Hebrew National Hot Dogs. My husband loves processed meat products, kielbasa, bratwurst, hot dogs, bologna, if it's salty and no longer resembles the animal it came from, he likes it! (just kidding, dear!). Well, Kielbasa - in my gluten eating days, the only way I'd eat it is with a healthy dose of pan fried pierogies! If I ever figure out how to make gluten free brown rice pasta that I can stuff with potatoes, onions and cheese, I'll let you know. I'm DYING for a pierogi!!!

We have not had kielbasa since I went gluten free. It took some doing finding one that was Gluten Free, and still had some health benefits. I chose the Hillshire Farms Turkey Kielbasa - contacted the company after purchasing and was assured it was, in fact, gluten free.

So...I was left pondering with just how I could serve it so that I wouldn't miss my beloved piergies. Below is how I did it. It was REALLY good. I don't usually go out of my way to have kielbasa, but after this, I'm actually looking forward to buying it again.

I'm posting as how I did it - at the end, I'll add my husband's suggestions for next time I do it.


Kielbasa Hash

1 16 oz Gluten Free Kielbasa ring, cut into half moon shapes
4 medium red potatoes
1 medium onion, sliced and cut in half moons
2 cloves garlic, freshly minced
Olive Oil

Poke potatoes with fork and cook on high in the microwave for 4 to 6 minutes (mine did in 6, but start checking at 4 b/c you don't want to over cook them. When potatoes are cooked, cut in half and cut into half moon shapes. They will be still a little bit uncooked - that's good...they'll finish in a pan. In a large flat skillet, place two tbls olive oil. Heat, and add potatoes in a single layer. Cook until crispy on both sides (about 6 minutes a side).

In a separate large skillet, add 2 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat, add onions and garlic and saute until translucent. Add kielbasa coins. Saute until onions finish carmelizing and kielbase cooks and gets a little cripy on the edges (don't over cook, you want the outside just a little crispy, but the inside warm.

Add potatoes to kielbasa mixture. Saute for a few minutes while the flavors blend well.

Serve Hot. I served with scrambled eggs and fruit (yes, it was Breakfast for Dinner night again!). It was truly delicious. I dipped mine in sour cream and pretended the potatoes were pierogies. It was just as good!


Hubby's suggestions for next time - dice in smaller pieces, add diced green pepper, serve with poached eggs on top. I think even I could get into Kielbasa that way.

5 comments:

mrs.naramor said...

I also love pierogies. I am going to work on that when I feel like doing something really ambitious and then we can compare notes!

Anonymous said...

We call this "Sausage Skillet" and often add green peppers or green beans, depending on what is fresh or on sale.

kbabe1968 said...

HEY! GF Mommy!!! I call you out! LOL!!! Did you have that dear one yet???

Anne Coleman said...

Yummy ... I could live on red potatoes. Kielbasa mmmmm so bad, yet so good lol

Karen said...

Oh wow, I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting the recipe!

http://glutenfreefoodreviews.com