Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chinese Chicken & Green Beans



The first time I went gluten-free, one of the biggest things I lamented was Chinese Food.  I could still DO it, but I had to get it steamed, with no soy sauce, no sauce at all. :(  It was not satisfying.  I could make some at home that was very good.

While I was NOT eating gluten free most recently, my biggest obsession was Chinese Chicken with Green Beans.  Sooooo good.  In a nice rich brown sauce, over rice.  I adored it.

I was planning dinner tonight and was cutting up some chicken, and I got a craving so big for Chinese Food - like a pregnancy type "I MUST HAVE IT" craving.  Therefore, I made this.  It was so good and so satisfied that craving.

AS ALWAYS - make sure that ALL the ingredients you use are gluten-free.  If you are unsure, leave it out!


Chinese Chicken & Green Beans
2 Lbs Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, cut in thin strips
1 Lb Frozen Green Beans, thawed
1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce (I Used Fusia by Aldi, it was gluten-free)
1 Tbs Rice Wine
2 Tsp Dark Sesame Oil
2 Large Garlic Cloves
3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
2 Tbs San-J Tamari Wheat-free Soy Sauce
4 or 5 Scallions, thinly sliced
1 Tbs Sesame Seeds
2 Tbs Corn Starch
1/4 Cup COLD water

Prepare the chicken to marinade ahead of time, minimum 2 hours, maximum overnight.  To prepare the marinade mix teriyaki sauce, rice wine and dark sesame oil together in a container or ziplock bag.  Add the Chicken strips and mix well.

When ready to cook it all:

Prepare Wok by preheating on high heat.  Heat 3 Tbs Vegetable oil until hot.  Add garlic cloves, whole, into the oil and allow to cook for a few minutes until soft, then remove.  Add chicken and allow to cook until no longer pink.  Add sesame seeds and soy sauce.  Once incorporated top with the defrosted green beans and cover for 2 or 3 minutes.   Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch and water together.  Add to green bean and chicken in the pan and stir around.  Allow to thicken the sauce.

Serve immediately over your favorite rice.

Don't feel guilty, feel happy!  Don't need a cookie to realize your good fortune!

No comments: