Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kristy's Amazing Whipped Icing


Yesterday was my step-father's birthday.  To celebrate, he's coming over for dinner tonight (or he better or I'll clock him!).  Stew is in the crock-pot cooking away, smells delicious (I'll share that recipe tomorrow after I've tasted it and had a chance to properly photograph it!)

Anyway, I made my favorite gluten-free cupcakes, and when trying to decide if I was going to use frosting from a can, or make my good friend's amazing chocolate whipped icing, I decided on the latter (it might have been the kids screaming that they wouldn't eat the cupcakes without HER icing on it).  And lets face it, homemade icing is always better than the store-bought, chemically processed frosting.

Now, I need to share that when my friend gave me the recipe she just kinda said "Well, I throw some butter and shortening in a mixer, add this, add that….I don't really measure, I just mix until it tastes right and it has the consistency and taste I like"  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!  And I should add that the precise nature of MY personality forced me come up with a recipe that would workout right every time.  

If you met us, you'd know that she is the more loosey-goosey of us, and I'm the more "rule follower" type.  :)  She's the unschooler, I'm the schedule schooler. I think it's why we love each other!  We balance each other out. 

This is what I do to replicate her amazing icing:

Kristy's Amazing Whipped Icing

1/2 Cup Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Shortening (confirm the brand you choose is gluten-free)
1 tsp Vanilla
2-3 Tbs milk (or more, you might like more for desired consistency, I like it very whippy, so I've been known to add more)
2 1/2 Cups - 3 Cups Powdered Sugar (again, use a trusted GF brand…most are, but some are sneaky!)
3 Tbs Cocoa Powder (or more to taste, I find this gives just enough chocolate taste without overdoing it and making it bitter)

In the mixer bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and shortening on a medium-high speed until very fluffy.  Add tsp vanilla and continue whipping (same speed).  Slowly add the powdered sugar, start mixer on the lowest setting and gradually increase speed (unless you LIKE being covered in powdered sugar), continue whipping on a medium-high speed.  Add milk, and continue whipping.  Add cocoa powder (on low again), and continue whipping.  LOL :) (I know, I know, there's a lot of whipping going on!  It's a light and fluffy icing.) So continue to whip on med-high speed until very fluffy and the "crunch" of the sugar is gone.  Spread on YOUR favorite cupcakes or eat straight from the bowl.  Whatever makes you happy. ;)

Store unused portion in the fridge (and do what I do and eat a spoonful every now and then!!!)



No comments: