Monday, January 1, 2007

Day 1 - Going Gluten Free

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. After being sick for over a decade, it seemed empty and hollow. One thing they tested for that was inconclusive was Celiac. My GI doc wanted to do the upper gi test to look for damage to the small intestine. In order to save money, I'm going gluten free instead. If I feel better after a few months, I'll know for sure that's what it is.

I've been reviewing, studying and getting ready for months, and today is the day. Day one. I'm going gluten free. Want to join me?

I hope to blog my experiments and escapades to see how well it goes. And being a person who loves to cook, I'm going to have to learn ALL over again how to do it gluten free.


Here's a breakfast I like to make, as long as the grits are from a reputable source that does not cross contaminate, you'll be fine!



Cheesy Grits with Fried Egg

Grits:

1 3/4 cups water
6 tbs white hominy grits
dash salt
2 cups shredded cheese (I personally like a combo of gouda and white sharp cheddar)
3 scallions, sliced thin
1 tbs butter
dash salt & pepper (for after preparation

4 eggs - pan fried to desired doneness

To prepare grits: place water, grits and first dash of salt in a microwave safe bowl. Cook for 6 minutes, stopping to stir every 2 minutes. Cook 1 minute more and pull out of the micro. Add butter, shredded cheese, scallions and salt & pepper. Mix well until all the butter and cheese is melted in.

Divide grits evenly among 4 bowls. Top with fried egg. ENJOY!!!

Another way to serve this is to prepare the grits the day before and spread into a pan to allow the grits to resolidify. In the morning, cut into large squares or triangles and pan fry them before the eggs. They get crispy on the outside, but warm and creamy on the outside and oh so yummy!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hello!

I'm glad to find your blog!!! I've recently been told to give up wheat (ugh) in order to help my auto-immune thyroid disease.

After only one day, I felt remarkably better. It's amazing!

I'll be keeping an eye on your blog and using some recipes for sure. I'm also vegetarian and trying not do to soy, either. Yikes!

Thanks again for sharing your journey. What a treasure you've created.